Friday, April 27, 2007

Time

Joe has been thinking a lot about the purpose and meaning of our life because of, and in, Christ. Also, the meaninglessness and purposelessness of life without Him. Everywhere we go we see people driving, walking, working, playing. To what end? To eat, work, sleep, and finally to die?

Purpose in life is so dependent on our position in Christ. We get to worship, love and glorify God in all we do. We get to watch His almighty hand at work in our life and the lives of those around us. Our purpose, our life's vocation, is found in the pages of scripture. We get to have fellowship with our Maker through prayer and reading.

Which brings me to this question: Why is it that the most important things are often squeezed out of my day?

If I am on target with my day I am able to have a rich time of praying and reading. If I'm running behind those are usually the first to get squeezed (or squeezed out) of my day.

I was reading about Joseph and the incrementally larger tasks he was entrusted with. I was so impressed with the emphasis on how "The Lord was with Joseph and he was a successful man" (Gen. 39:2) "The Lord blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the Lord's blessing was on all that he had in the house and in the field(39:5)". "But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him mercy and he gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison (vs.20)." "The keeper didn't look into anything that was under Joseph's authority, because the Lord was with him; and whatever he did, the Lord made it prosper" (vs.23). Before Pharaoh Joseph said, "It is not me; God will give Pharaoh an answer of peace" (41:16).

Wow. That was a man that was humbled to the utter depths of slavery, but he was raised to one of the highest positions of responsibility because of God's blessing. Pharaoh's response of "Can we find a man...in whom is the Spirit of God?" (vs. 38) shows that Joseph had accurately portrayed to Pharaoh the need for God's guidance.

I have always seen Joseph as the hero in the story of the Great Famine. No, the emphasis is on the Lord's presence, mercy, favor, and blessing. Joseph knew that he couldn't manage the affairs of great men without God's presence and blessing, nor could he have authority in prison or life in the midst of bloodthirsty brothers without God's mercy.

I am a child of God. I know where to go to to find purpose and meaning in life...can I squeeze in the time?

No comments:

Map