Friday, January 4, 2008

Christmas Day

We had a delightful Christmas Eve celebration with Grandpa and Mutti and Uncle Fritz and Aunt Christy and the boys. The celebration was complete with a delicious Christmas Tea, caroling to neighbors, acting out the Christmas Carol (with our 7 children 6 and under!), lots of special stories, and jammies from Santa.

After we got home and had the children in bed we got the house ready for Christmas Day: we put baby Jesus in the manger, filled the stockings, just got everything ready for the day. Crawled into bed around 12:00 or 1:00. At 2:30 Thomas wakes up screaming, which is very uncharacteristic of him, and he told us his ear hurt. Tom had had a cold for about two weeks and he did feel quite warm so I heated some olive oil and garlic for him. We have only had one other ear infection, which was with Abigail, and she was in horrible pain for three days until we started her on an antibiotic. So, I thought I would stay ahead of the game and call the doctor and see if he could call a prescription in right then and we could start Thomas on it. So I call. I got through to the doctor. Mother that I am, I hadn't thought about it being Christmas Eve, and around 3:00 am. I apologize profusely when I hear his voice and then I tell him the symptoms, extended cold and a sudden fever. He asks me what the temperature was. I hadn't even thought to check. I had a sobbing boy and I thought we could give him medicine and wake up better. The doctor said to take him to Children's Emergency. I put little sick Thomas James in the bath with me, his little body relaxed and we slipped him in our bed where he slept until morning.

Abbie was the first one awake on Christmas morning with all the twinkles and zest due the day. It was 6:00. Precious Daddy put festive music on and started a cozy fire while I got dressed and put lots of make up on! ;) Hmmm, I see now that we didn't do a very good job of capturing the day on film for future generations. Anyway, these are what we have. The first picture is kind-of funny because our batteries were VERY low and the camera kept shutting off. Well, it finally took and then I couldn't get it on again. The picture of Grandma Barnes is thanks to Abbie




No comments:

Map