Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Right-ness vs. Righteousness

I am sitting here at the end of a Tuesday, Elizabeth snuggled in my lap, some Rachmaninoff playing in the background. Everything is feeling very settled and cozy.

I started out the day with T-Tapp, my daily exercises. It is such a great way for me to clear my head and get out any stiffness that I have. I then sat on the couch, with Abbie snuggled in my lap, to read Mark. We read about when Jesus healed a withered hand on the Sabbath. The religious leaders were horrified. That was sin in their eyes. Christ told them that good is meant to happen on the Sabbath. The Jewish culture of Jesus' day defined any type of work or any extra exertion as sin. They condemned the Righteous One, a sinner, for the good He had done.

I have been reading a biography on John Newton. When Newton was a sailor it was customary for the sailors to go on shore and take part in the "pleasures" that were available. All men participated. No one thought of what they were doing as sin. No guilt. No need for confession, let alone repentance. There were other "vice sins" that Newton was a slave to prior to his conversion and God miraculously delivered him from them: his cleaned-up speech being on the top of list . But the other "pleasures" he didn't even question. The pure and holy God, whom Newton served, knew otherwise and in His sovernity brought Newton to the realization that the "pleasures" he was so freely partaking in were sin. Then guilt, followed by repentance and confession were able to come. Culturally there was nothing wrong with what Newton was doing. Biblically there was.

These two situations startled me into thinking about what I am doing that seems so "right" and yet it may be the complete opposite of what God's righteousness is. Also, what am I refraining from that I should be wholeheartedly doing. God's ways are not my ways...but He has redeemed me and is conforming me to His image. I must be driven to His fountain of life, to learn what true righteousness is, not what is culturally accepted as right-ness.

With my children young and very impressionable may my actions be filled with God's righteousness.

No comments:

Map