Wednesday, October 31, 2007

October 31, 1997

October 31st, 2007, marks a momentous 10 year mark in my life. Ten years ago I had just finished my freshman year of college and was helping out with a children's choir in south-San Diego. I was co-teaching this choir with a bearded young man, whom my family all thought looked like one of the brothers from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." The young man's name was Joe Hinrichs. We had been in the college's chorale together during my freshman year so I knew who "Joe Hinrichs" was. He was very likeable: comfortable with people, always had great questions in class, was easy to talk with. I would see him having lunch with teachers or playing music in the courtyard. We had a few classes together so I saw him around.

Before I went to college I was home schooled. I had an avid love of both music and teaching and so I started teaching piano when I was 15. By the time I was 16 I had 15 students and by the time I started college at 18, I had 30 students. I dabbled with the idea of apprenticeship but was urged by some family friends to pursue college. I did, was accepted, and received full scholarships. I had prayed that God would clearly show me if I should go to college. I had grown up always hearing about apprenticeship and didn't know if college was where I wanted to spend my time. God's leading was clear.

Joe Hinrichs and I started to teach the "Highland Park Church Rainbow Choir" together June of 1997. It was the first big thing away from home that I had done. I enjoyed it immensely. The children were great to work with and the parents loved what we were doing. When a problem came up Joe was always able to resolve it. I really admired how he worked with people, he cared so genuinely and was always giving more of himself in order to make others successful.

Joe would come over for dinner or just hang out with my family when they came down to the campus to visit me. My younger siblings adored him. I didn't think romantically about him--there seemed to be such an age difference.

As the months went by we had some concerts with our children's choir. I could always follow Joe's direction and we both worked so well together. It was great to design signs and shirts and have fun thinking through the details. We attended a Filipino wedding together--with our whole children's choir! There were about 25 boys and girls, mostly under the age of 10! We took one pew, he sat at one end I sat at the other. I had two or three wiggly little ones and an older wiggly one next to my arm and I looked down the pew and he had two little ones on his lap and one on his leg. I loved it! That was a moment that started not just an admiration for Joseph Hinrichs, but also a deep delight in who he was.

On Oct 31st, 1997, there was a Harvest Festival at Highland Park Church. The choir was singing at it and Joe and I were helping with many other details for the Festival. We ran around all night, doing all the million things that needed to be done. It was late when we finished and we took one of the helpers home. I sat in the middle of the truck and Joe was on one side of me and this man was on the other. I had butterflies in my stomach sitting next to him.

Mom was still up when I got home. She knew it would be a late night and was waiting to hear about it. I remember her being cosy in the kitchen--maybe drinking tea?--Joe said good night to us both and shook our hands. I felt an electric shock all the way up my arm!!!

After Joe left I told Mom about the evening and I told her how I had felt with Joe and that I knew that I was starting to love him. Mom told me that it was a good, natural part of life and God would bring it to fruition if it was His way. But!!! It was not my place to be the initiator. I must be content in my singleness.

I had never loved a man with a womanly love. I decided to distance myself from Joe and not spend time with him at school because I didn't feel that I could go any deeper in our friendship without loving him. I knew I couldn't be content with where our friendship was--I had to back away. I prayed all the time for his future wife. I prayed that God would give me the grace to rejoice with him in the life God had for him. I worked at not building castles in the air with myself as Joe's queen. It was a time of deep struggle and surrender for me.

I loved my singleness and the mobility that came with it. I loved that I could spend hours reading my Bible and praying, visiting people, encouraging, helping out at home. I loved the scope of ministry God was opening up for me. I was convinced that if I was to marry I wanted to only marry someone whose giftings complimented mine in such a way that God's kingdom could be furthered because we were married.

That is all of my love story that I will share tonight...though the ending is not too hard to figure out seeing as my name is Mrs. Joseph Hinrichs!!!!!! :)

No comments:

Map