Friday, August 17, 2007

Firstborn

I sat on the couch this morning with my first-born son snuggled next to me and we read about the first passover together. What a powerful experience. Nine times God had shown his power to Pharaoh and nine times Pharaoh had hardened his heart against God. The tenth time would break that hardness and the leader of Egypt would be forced to acknowledge One greater than himself.

As I sat with Jon Joe, I pondered the agony of losing a firstborn. The dreams and expectations that I hold for my son are often bigger than life. However, we have a purpose in life that supersedes our own interests and abilities. We serve a living God who offered up His firstborn Son so that my son can have Life.

The terror of that black night did not drive Pharaoh to his knees in sorrow and repentance. Instead he drove the Israelites from his land, allowing them to plunder his people, rather than allow them to loiter longer in his country. And so God's chosen people escaped, a great army of wealthy people. No longer would they give service as slaves, they would enter a 40 year training ground in a first hand, tangible experience of God's power and presence.

As I face difficulties in my life, do I let them draw me to God in sorrow, repentance, confusion, or do I harden my heart as Pharaoh did and seek to push God's blessings away from me? May God keep my heart soft and pliable in His great hands. As I look into the darkness of my heart I see hardness without His gentle hands softening the clay. I have deep gratitude that God is working on my life, His work is perfect and I am thankful that He is doing His careful sculpting in me.

No comments:

Map