Friday, August 31, 2007

Needs

God's goodness is so vast, His kindness is measureless, and His mercy is limitless. I don't give those descriptions to seem trite. I give them in response to my reading from Exodus. I have so often viewed God in the Old Testament through the vivid revelations of his displeasure, wrath, and judgement.

In my Exodus reading I have seen God deliver His people from slavery to the most powerful nation, to wandering in the desert. A people who were not yet royal in their needs, nor even in their moods. They watched as God used Moses to part the Red Sea, they walked across on dry ground, they sang praises of worship to their Deliverer. Then... "No food! Whine, whine, whine..." God's response was very kind, merciful and good. He provided manna and quail for the people. He saw their state, that they were but human, and provided for their very human needs.

Ten weeks after leaving Egypt they were in the desert, thirsty. There was nothing to drink. After seeing God's great power did they ask Him to provide for their needs? No. They picked up stones to kill Moses. More whining, anger, selfishness. God's response was to provide for the very physical needs of the Israelite people by providing water in the midst of complaints.

As a mommy of several young children I am nearly constantly surrounded by very physical needs. A thirsty, hungry, or tired child will become a huge whiner if that basic physical need is not met. I want my children to grow in their stamina, to learn self control in times of need and to be gracious to others when those needs seem limitless. But as the slow teaching process unfolds I get to graciously provide for their needs, and quietly teach them generous mercy, goodness, and kindness.

The painful part is that usually when their needs are the greatest, so are mine! Therefore I may not be feeling very gracious, loving, or self-controlled. I have been so encouraged as a mother through these passages of God's dealing with adult people who are intended to one day be leaders in their land. God had a 40 year training camp prepared to make His people more kingly in their interactions. We get to start with children and we have a good, kind, and merciful Heavenly Father who will help us in shaping our children's attitudes in the next 12, 14, 16, and 18 years.

On an entirely different topic, here is my little Elizabeth. She was 8 months old yesterday. She usually only cries when there is an immediate physical need: hunger, thirst, icky diaper, or too many kisses from a brother or sister. How thankful I am that God will allow me to be a part of the process of graciously letting people know of her desperate needs. ;)

Smile! Elizabeth is our scooter and giggler!
Lizzie, checking out the camera.
cutie
more cuteness
ahhhhhh. Another cherub-ess picture. So precious.

No comments:

Map