Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mother's Day

Tonight is the night before Mother's Day. What a full and happy night to reflect on the joys of being a mother to my own precious little brood. I love to have all my chicks in our nest. :) I stand in awe at the struggles and victories God has taken me through and look in wonder at what the future holds for me.

I was thinking about the mothers in the Bible that I admire. Timothy's mother and grandmother, who taught him at their knee to love and reverence the Lord. I think of Moses and Daniels' mothers who had an idea of the potential dangers their sons would be exposed to, yet they still chose to give them life and then diligently taught their sons the fear and admonition of the Lord. They didn't know that their sons would one day stand before kings, but these godly woman instilled in their children the knowledge of God that created virtuous men that were equipped to be both counselors to kings and great leaders.

These were woman of incredible influence whom we are still reaping the benefits from their sacrifices and teaching. Tonight I have been thinking of the woman in my own life who have sacrificed and invested into me...and now into my husband and children...and who my grandchildren and great-grandchildren will still reap incredible blessings from. These women are my mother and my mother-in-love.

My mom is an incredibly focused, strong, diligent, and dedicated woman. Mom has always had great vision for my siblings and myself--always pushing us to be better, work harder, think smarter. I remember many times when I would have some large event where I would be so nervous and mom would pray with me that God would let me perform to the best of my ability and ask Him to allow me to minister to my audience. If I made a commitment to play or do something for someone I was stretched to fulfill that no matter how nervous or inadequate I felt.

I remember my mom trying to get my child-eyes to see all the details that are involved in cleaning a room. She broke each chore into small, minute details that we would have to complete. There was a time I didn't do the bathroom properly so she hid ten dimes that I had to find...I still think about them when I clean the bathroom. :) (they were behind the sink faucet handles, under the toilet seat, beneath the toilet, around the edge of the tub...all those places that are not seen by young eyes).

I have watched my mom rock my siblings late at night, after a full and what must have been exhausting day, singing a song she wrote to the tune of "Rock a Bye Baby" "Mom-my loves you, ba-by dear, ...Jesus is wa-tching while you sleep..." That is the heart I always saw towards me and my siblings. Delight. Interest. Growing. Wrestling...yes, even exhaustion! She has always put my dad, siblings and myself above all other friendships and hobbies.

I could go on and on about the virtues of my mom...how I thank God for blessing me with a mother that loves and fears Him.

God did not chose to put only my mom into my life, but also my precious mother-in-law.

During the days of my early friendship with my, now husband, Joseph, I saw him park and run around to open the door for his mom. She elegantly stepped out of the car and put her arm in his and talked with some friends and then went to class with him. I was so delighted with that simple act! The elegance, poise and wisdom of my mother-in-love truly beckons all things noble and virtuous.

I love to listen to Joanne tell about all she is reading. I love to watch her skillfully bring out rambunctious grandchildren, creating a quiet moment in the midst of the day to spark a new interest or a more noble thought. I love to watch her entertain, seamlessly preparing a meal, guiding conversation and encouraging all to participate and grow together in discussions.

I love how both of these mothers delight in their children and have rich words of wisdom for them. Proverbs talks about "Listen my son, (my daughter)..." and then supplies such rich, nourishing food for thought. That is just like my mother and mother-in-law.

How grateful and blessed to have been given such a rich heritage! Thank you God for mothers that love you!!!


Happy Mother's Day!!! :)


Mom (Grammie), holding newborn Elizabeth.

Joanne (Mutti), holding newborn Elizabeth

No comments:

Map