Sunday, May 20, 2007

Puzzles

Thomas has been thinking of nothing but puzzles. The first words out of his mouth in the morning are "Puzzle please?" He has figured out how to do all of our puzzles so well that Joe bought two more for him. Yesterday morning, when Thomas was first given his new puzzles, they were a significant challenge for him. We took all the pieces out and there was no picture and just a blank board to put the pieces into. He got so frustrated! So, we assembled the puzzle and then we took out every other piece. That is how he did his puzzles yesterday and today...We have been subtly preparing him for that next step in puzzle challenges.

Today we went on a long car ride and were talking about love and faithfulness. Joe was saying that in the Proverbs we are instructed to bind love and faithfulness around our necks. In church we were talking about faith. Pastor Jim was saying that our faith is increased through hard times. Ouch! As a parent those two topics, love and faithfulness, and faith are a constant part of our day.

Lately I've been finding that I am stretched so thin...and too often my "love" is very curt. The edification that Paul gives us in the "Love Chapter" (I Cor. 13) to suffer long and be kind...to bear all things...to hope in all things...to endure all things... are very strong and convicting examples of God's supernatural love.

I enjoy loving when all is cozy and peaceful, but give me a naughty child (or two, or three) and I want to look for the exit door! Yet that is not a love that is "gentle, kind or selfless". My children need me to lovingly guide them to a higher path. Yes, selfishness is very much a part of this home. However, we do have Savior who offered Himself up as a sacrifice in the most selfless and loving way possible--an extremely uncomfortable and chaotic experience. Yet because of His faithfulness and love, and faith, I get to enjoy the prospect of true peace and comfort.

When my day is filled with needs and challenges I must cling to the promises that God wants to enhance my faith with virtue, self-control, knowledge and so much more. His ways are not my ways, but praise God, He still gently takes me down His path of righteousness...for His name's sake!!!


Thomas, enjoying one more puzzle!


An excited Thomas with his completed "big" puzzle!

No comments:

Map