Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fathers

Yesterday we asked Jonathan if he could go back in time and talk with any person, who we would see in a museum, who would he talk to? Without any hesitation he said, "George Washington!" Well, what an appropriate man to "talk to" the night before Father's Day! George Washington, the Father of our Country. He was a man that brought unity, vision, strength, communication and action to a young country. The fathers in my life also bring those same traits in their own special ways.

My own father is a steady visionary. A man who is always ready to sacrifice anything from the last serving of food to the shirt off his back. As my brothers and sisters have begun to scatter, my dad is always ready to provide, juggle, struggle through any of the various victories...or scrapes we may be in. My dad is a man of incredible strength. As a child and teenager I always watched my dad get up early (4:30) and have a Bible study with my older brother and myself, get ready for work, and jump into his day running...Now as a parent I can see how busy nights can be and I am so encouraged by his commitment to me. I watch my dad now and I am always delighted at his excitement and drive to be a part of every one's various activities. I have watched my dad continue to woo my mom. After 30+ years of marriage and 11 children I still see a special passion and delight from my dad to my mom.

My dad can talk to anyone and make them feel comfortable. He always shows sincere interest and care to whomever he is talking with. He has never had an ego that he is trying to protect, but is always just genuinely interested in others. I am thankful for all the special times I had growing up under the influence of this godly man. Tonight I put Thomas to bed on my chest and I laid there reminiscing about the nights I would fall asleep on my daddy's chest.

My father-in-law is a man of great vision, drive and strength. He is a leader in conversations or in any project. He is a man of conviction and a man of faith. A man who honors and loves his wife. A man who breaths vision and guidance to his children. I love to sit and listen to my dear father-in-law communicate...and I always feel a bit timid next to his deep conviction! I have been challenged, convicted and stretched as I listen to different issues and wrestling's that my father-in-law is working on.

The most recent father in my life is my own dear husband. I never could have dreamed of a better father for my children. My Joseph is always ready to swing, climb, sing, snuggle, teach, tickle, guide, read, explore...Joe is an endless well of interesting topics and activities. The admiration that my children have for their daddy is boundless.

How I praise and thank you, Lord, for these three fathers who are the Fathers of their Homes!


Papa, going on a wheelbarrow walk with two grandchildren and a daughter!

Grandpa Tom and Mutti with Elizabeth on Easter.

Joseph, holding his precious new daughter, Elizabeth Noelle.

No comments:

Map